About the R Association
The "R" Association Mission:
- Assist the Athletic Department in support of intercollegiate athletics at Rice
- Honor individual members who have brought honor and distinction to Rice University and the Athletic Program
- Provide Information and benefits to all active members to increase awareness and encourage support of current athletes
Qualifications for Membership
There are three classifications of active members:
- Honorary Members are selected by the Association for their outstanding support of Rice athletics.
- Regular Members are former varsity athletes who were awarded a letter in their individual sport.
- Associate Members are cheerleaders, trainers and managers.
There are a number of former athletes who, while never earning a letter,
contributed to their team's accomplishments. In some cases this meant they did not log enough game
playing time. There are also those who suffered career-ending injuries while participating
with their teams. These individuals are now able to take part in R Association activities as
active members in the Associate Members classification.
With the payment of annual dues (or the purchase of a lifetime membership), all classifications enjoy the full benefits afforded to Active Members.
MEMBERSHIP <--- Click here to update your information or to pay your dues
A Message from the president
The R Association, through its stated mission, puts on the semi-annual Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, grants scholarships for graduate study and sponsors the Scholar Athlete Banquet, the All Sports Banquet and the Senior Breakfast. The R Association also sponsors informal events and gatherings that promote fellowship and camaraderie among Rice Letter Winners.
Additionally, the R Association works to provide mentoring to current Student Athletes in helping them prepare resumes, practice interviewing and providing professional contacts as they prepare to enter their chosen professions. All of our association activities are paid with membership dues and through interested sponsors.
As President of the R Association I want to thank you for your past support and encourage you to maintain your Annual Membership or purchase a Lifetime Membership so the Association can continue to support Rice Athletics in the ways described above. We also welcome your attendance at these events to show your support.
Mike Ecklund, President